The French Climber Lionel Terray famous term “Conquistadors of the Useless” Which I think is a perfect description of the enlightened ones that call these beautiful mountain towns home for the winter and life becomes a lot simpler. After many years of living this dream myself I dedicate this to our fellow Conquistadors!
1. You consistently buy bulk instant ramen.
2. You have all the free Wi-Fi passwords in town.
3. You think beer is a legitimate form of currency
4. You use duct tape to fix everything clothing, furniture, vehicles etc.
5. “Doing Laundry” consists of cycling through different flannels on your floor.
6. You have a day job a night job and possibly a third job for the “hookups”
7. You might not have been a gear head but you are now.
8. You collect all your old seasons passes and grow your moustache all summer for the photo.
9. Your goggle tan is the only tan line on your whole body.
10. You find yourself storm chasing with a car full of gear, sleeping bags and beer.
11. You yank broken skis and snowboards from a dumpster and think: “With a touch of epoxy, these could last an entire season.”
12. Seven strangers share your apartment from November till May.
13. You have facial hair. Lots of it.